Arctic Steel and Mining (ASM)
Arctic Steel and Mining applies materials and production technology for the problem solving and training of product development of metal enterprises. ASM offers enterprises services in destructive and non-destructive materials testing, feasibility studies and testing of the manufacturing technology.
The services of destructive materials testing study the mechanical properties of materials with the methods of destructive materials testing. Testing can also be carried out for components and, depending on size, for structures. The results include strength values, hardness values, etc. Non-destructive materials testing investigates mainly the consistencies of materials and compounds with different methods. We are also using 3D surface scanning based on optical measurement where a digital surface model is created of the scanned piece for the purpose of measurement. Various failure analyses are also part of the application areas of the research methods. The examined materials may vary, for example, from stone sample to steel and from wood to composites. Comprehensive sample preparation is also part of the services, the latest of which is the preparation of mineral samples.
Feasibility studies provide customers with added value in the form of processed data according to the areas of specialisation of the team. Typical subjects of feasibility studies include those related to materials technology and their usability.
Testing of the manufacturing technology can be carried out according to the available equipment and expert resources. The majority of the equipment is normal machine workshop equipment with the exception of a large hydraulic press for the manufacture of pipe and plate-type of pieces.
We carry on research cooperation with SSAB Europe with respect to ultra-high strength structural and abrasion-resistant steels. With respect to stainless steels, we carry on co-operation with the Outokumpu research centre in Tornio.
In our operations, we comply with a quality system in accordance with the standard EN ISO/IEC 17025.
We carry on close research and development work with enterprises, e.g. via TEKES and EAKR funded public applied research projects and as direct assignments.
Operating since 2008, the research team is experienced in availability and abrasion-resistance testings, failure analyses and manufacturing technology and 3D design. The latest expertise is related to the management of the analysis chain in mineralogy samples.
Our areas of expertise are:
- stainless steels and ultra-strong structure, abrasion-resistant and protection steels
- cutting, joining, forming and finishing
- new production technologies, enhancement of production
- various tests and measurements; mechanical properties, impact strength, failure studies, study of forming properties, etc.
- manufacture of testing-related tools and samples
- 3D reverse engineering, 3D design, FEM modelling of forming
- prototype manufacturing
- welding tests and instructions
- Zwick 250kN traction engine (x-y & optical extensometer, climate chamber); traction, compression and bending tests
- Hydraulic bulge test (Erichsen & Swift cupping test, forming limits, hole expansion, etc.), automatic registering and analysis of strain
- GOM ARAMIS/ARGUS measuring systems
- Zwick Charpy – V automated impact test equipment (300, 450, 600 and 750 kJ)
- Optical macro- and microscopes, image analysis
- Sample preparation unit
- SEM (with EDS analysor)
- Hardness measurement equipment and microhardness meter (HB, HV, HRC), automated
- Surface roughness meter, laser profilometer
- 3D X-ray imaging equipment
- Heat treatment ovens
Equipment resources of JaloteräsStudio:
- Trimming machine (130 t)
- Plate shear
- Hydroforming equipment (max. forming pressure 5,000 bar)
- Deep drawing machine (120 t)
- 3D hybrid laser robot station
- Tandem MIG/MAG welding machine
- MIG/MAG, TIG welding carriage
- Spot welding unit
- Grinding/brushing unit
- Tube end grinding machine
- Sheet metal work centre
- Electromagnetic and electrohydraulic forming station
We carry out laser markings with the laser marking device of Cajon Technologies Oy.
Lapland University of Applied Sciences
+358 50 461 2319